Award winners represent excellence in service, coaching and teachingBy Claire De Lisle September 25, 2017
On Sept. 15, the William & Mary Alumni Association celebrated its annual Fall Awards Banquet by recognizing alumni, faculty and staff who represent excellence in service, coaching and teaching.
During the ceremony, honorees were presented with the 2017 Douglas N. Morton ’62 Alumni Service Awards, Alumni Fellowship Awards, Staff Service Award, and Coach of the Year Award. President Taylor Reveley and many members of the Board of Directors of the Alumni Association and the Board of Visitors and were in attendance to support the 2017 awardees.
“These awards together symbolize the Alumni Association’s gratitude for those at the university who go above and beyond to support students, staff, faculty, coaches and alumni,” said Sue Manix ’79, president of the Alumni Association. “We deeply appreciate and commend their dedication, enthusiasm and commitment to William & Mary.”
The following alumni received the 2017 Douglas N. Morton ’62 Alumni for their exceptional service to the Alumni Association and the university through their efforts to connect and engage alumni:
- David T. Libertson ’09, for his dedication to the arts at William & Mary on campus and in New York City
- J. Robert McKetta ’05, for his contributions to Tribe Athletics, especially Tribe Golf
- John M. Hurley ’72, who has hosted and sponsored engaging events for the Charleston Alumni Chapter
- Eileen A. Olds J.D. ’82, who has provided support and mentorship for the students and faculty of William & Mary Law School
- John P. Rathbone ’77, P ’02, ’05, who has generously supported career training, multicultural affairs and the Raymond A. Mason School of Business
- Cornelia Westerman Wolf ’45, who has faithfully served on the boards of the Muscarelle Museum of Art and the College of William & Mary Foundation.
The following professors received this year’s Alumni Fellowship Awards for their commitment to teaching excellence and mentorship of students.
- Anne L. Blazer, Religious Studies
- Gerard L. Chouin, History
- Christopher J. Hein, Physical Sciences
- Jorge L. Terukina, Hispanic Studies
- Douglas D. Young, Chemistry
For more information on each of the Alumni Fellowship Award winners, see Alumni Fellowship Awards 2017 in the fall 2017 issue of the William & Mary Alumni Magazine.
This year’s Staff Service Award recipient is Senior Assistant Athletics Director, Public Affairs Pete M. Clawson, for his commitment to spreading Tribe Pride around the globe and advancing athletics excellence.
Head Coach of Women's Tennis Tyler J. Thomson is the Coach of the Year for 2017. He led the women’s tennis team this spring to win the Colonial Athletic Association championship for the third time in a row – and their 25th in history. For more information on the Coach of the Year, see Holding Court in the fall 2017 issue of the William & Mary Alumni Magazine.
“In the classroom and on the fields of play, across our historic grounds and in the community — all of our honorees make a real difference in the lives of our students and our entire William & Mary family,” said Marilyn Ward Midyette ’75, executive director of the William & Mary Alumni Association. “The Fall Awards Banquet is always one of the highlights of the year for the Alumni Association, a time to recognize and celebrate so many who go the extra mile in their service and commitment to the university.”